Lisa Dee's Knees

from the mouth of a babe comes the good news...

Sunday, December 21, 2008

I am not very good at holidays.
Seriously, I can never remember when they are..or how quickly they come up and every year ask countless times "wait..what day is Christmas again..Tuesday? or Wednesday? What day is it today?"
My concept of time is always a bit askew, and honestly I think that every day is important. I guess I just don't usually wait for a holiday or a birthday to tell someone how I feel about them. In fact, the pressure of some sort of expectation of intimacy that is on a calendar causes me just a little bit of uncomfortability (my favorite word that is not actually a word, unless you're looking it up in the urban dictionary..I digress).
Last year Juli forced me to have Christmas, she even made me a stocking at her house and I gave her a cookbook of 1000 vegetarian recipes and some Crocs :) After we opened gifts, I went to my annual Christmas get together at Beth's house in Hollywood, where all of the holiday loners gather and watch every badly edited Christmas slasher film we can get our hands on (although one year we watched Matt Dillon in "Over the Edge"..a classic)

This year I decided to buckle down and do the holidays differently. I went up north to dad's for Thanksgiving and it was so lovely, I have the best dad in the world and we talk on the phone a lot but really don't hang out enough. I then invited my mother down to MY house for Christmas. She just retired 2 weeks ago and is very excited to take the train, I'll pick her up Tuesday. Mom came to visit earlier this year for the first time in 10 years and we had a great time, I took her to see the Cheech Marin collection at LACMA, she is a huge fan, go figure. I love getting older and finally being friends with my mother, I am able to appreciate her more every day. Christmas eve we will go to a tamale party in Highland Park and on Christmas day..the movies (something at the Laemmle though, I think I will spare her "Black Christmas", "Silent Night, Deadly Night" or better still, "Christmas Evil")
I am looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home